Resolved: Highland Training - Dog Trainer School is Graded By Owners Opinion certification depends on opinion and not achievement

Harmony, North Carolina 9 comments
Resolved

Update by user Sep 30, 2013

Highland Canine Dog Training, LLC

Original review posted by user Sep 17, 2013

I enrolled my son and harassment and unfounded accusations began within the first week.Unfair treatment among the students, according to whether of not the owners and his teachers like you.

Constantly Called a liar among other untrue statements. Told he had no change of being certified and would be thrown out at any thing the owner decided was wrong.Told he was *** and had no ability with dogs, all untrue. This was suppose to be a trade school. Boy did I get took.

Had to pull my son out due to the threats by the owner and his clear statement he would not certify him. No money back either. My son's word against the owner. Word is out he plays favorites every new class and manages to do this regularly, throwing people out and keeping their money.

Really bad situation.Warning!

Review about: Unfair Treatment.

Comments

Hey same thing happened to me.Signed up for class and totally saw exactly what you are talking about.

People judged on whether owner liked them or not. If not liked then treated poorly. One guy was from a big city and was told he walked with too much of a swagger. Totally unprofessional.

The accommandations if you stayed overbite were horrible.And you're right......if dissatisfied can not get any money back

to Caninecharacter Phoenix, Arizona, United States #800974

Wish I knew who you are and when you attended.I expect there are multiples he has throw out and have had no redress.

Complain to NC Consumer Protection and get it on record.

He has now been licensed through office of proprietary schools.They'd probably like to know too, at least the students from March 2014 going forward will have an independent person through the office of proprietary schools to address this problem.I don't think the person in charge will keep this license long.

Huge tuition?Have you checked the prices of similar courses?

Their prices actually look pretty good to me when compare to others in the industry. I have used a prong collar on both of my dogs and the results have been great. Sounds like you may not have agreed with the instructors at the course about the use of some training tools??? Maybe you should have considered finding out which training methods they used before going.

After looking closely at their information, I think I may check them out.

I have wanted to be a trainer for some time now.

If I were in my forties and my mommy was still fighting my battles for me, I would be ashamed.....very ashamed......in a fetal position, hiding in the back of a closet while sucking my thumb, ashamed.

Lewisville, North Carolina, United States #734470

I trained there and received the best and most thorough instruction around.The money paid was a bargain for the quality of expertise that was shared.

Sounds like your son was an arsehole.You should be proud of him; he turned out just like his father.

arronbaston

Trainees pay a huge tuition to attend a Highland Canine Training, LLC course, learning to become an asshol* with a prong/remote shock collar. Many people have expressed concerns about their extensive use of prong collars to train all dogs, including rescue dogs and those destined for autistic children. Training your dog with a prong collar (or shock collar, shake can, alpha roll) is absolutely not positive training. If you think wearing a prong collar reinforces a positive relationship with your dog, try this experiment: put one on yourself, attach it to a leash and ask your boss or spouse to lead you around on it for a day. See if the experience strengthens your trust of them in a positive way, or if you spend the entire day stressed and in fear? The Association of Professional Dog Trainers (APDT) needs to pull the membership accreditation from any trainer who is affiliated-with or has been certified by that school. These trainers are definitely not Canine Good Citizens by any stretch of the word. Ban PRONG COLLAR use on animals and all trainers and schools who advocate and promote their usage! It is sad to hear yet another horror story related to either a student who has attended or some innocent animal which has been abused by the training methods being employed by this so-called school. :(

APDT Letter on Prong Collars (pdf)

to arronbaston Yadkinville, North Carolina, United States #745780

I am going to safely assume you were never spanked as a child. you are ignorant and should consider being properly educated on these different training tools.

to arronbaston #755506

I am confused, I also went to this school and all training methods are taught because no two dogs learn the same.If I remember correctly the dogs are taught the behaviors with all positive reinforcement and then just like every other trainer pinch collars and E-collars are used to advance training and deal with specific behavior issues.

As far as alpha rolls they are preached against from day one just as shake cans are.I am sure this said "40 year old man child" remembers all this.

Indiansue

I know who posted this comment and it was not a student.More of the same of what I posted about above, a little truth with a twist.

Right about one thing, a Really rotten apple especially one in the middle will do a good job spoiling the rest.

You can say it any way you chose, you still come through as who you are.No favors were asked, the harassment had reached a dangerous level.

I was also a student in this class with this particular man.First off her son is in his late 40's ....

mom still pays for school. Second this guys stirred junk with everyone here, not just the owners, he told us he has never held down a job and was proud of it.

This guy could not tell the truth to save his life and then gets his mother to bail him out.This school was great, I learned alot especially after this guys decided to leave...it was the old saying "one apple spoils the bunch.

View more comments